Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Laura Lombardi



http://www.lauratlombardi.com/

            This ad shocked me, and I think you know why. At first I really had no idea what this ad was selling but then I eventually realized it was jewelry. But for some reason the jewelry wasn’t the first thing that caught my eye when looking at this picture. I don’t think this advertisement is effective at all. The model looks like she is sick and dying or on drugs which sends the message that sick people/druggies wear this jewelry. The colors of the pictures also add to the “sickly” theme with pale greens and off whites.
            Although the color scheme brings out the boldness of the jewelry, the jewelry is such a small part of the pictures. In the first picture I can barely see the earrings she is wearing and the second picture isn’t much better. I can see how the model is portrayed as sexy and therefore appealing to women who want to look sexy as well, but the model looks more like sick and tired than sexy.
            This ad frustrates me because the jewelry looks beautiful. But when it is shown on a model who looks like she is dying, it loses its appeal. Then again, maybe that is the whole point of the ad! Maybe the dying model is supposed to look so horrible that she makes the jewelry look beautiful! I’m not really sure about this one, but the pictures look more like porn than a jewelry advertisement.

3 comments:

  1. Yes i definately agree with you, the jewelry is not the first thing that pops out when you look at the ad. The girl is way too skinny and it looks like such a big necklace could cause her to fall over. She should have a donut or something in her hand so we know that she actaully eats and isn't going to starve to death

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this ad is something else. I agree with your analysis -- this ad is extremely ineffective in advertising the jewelry. In the second picture, I feel like the transparency of her shirt is more of the focal point than her necklace. In the first picture the earrings are barely visible. I wouldn't have even noticed them had you not pointed them out in your analysis. Sometimes advertises go too far!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you had not stated that this was intended to sell jewelry I would not have had the slightest clue. I agree that the colors make the model look sickly. Also, to sell jewelry there is no reason to have a sheer shirt with nothing underneath. She's not selling her body she's selling the necklace!

    ReplyDelete