http://www.karenwalkereyewear.com/
As weird as this ad is, I think it does a great job of advertising these sunglasses. I love how everything is completely white except for the bright-colored glasses. The contrasting colors are what really make the sunglasses the center of the advertisement. The whole theme of the ad has a kind of futuristic, chic feel which I think is exactly what Karen Walker wanted to present.
The fact that the models are wearing formal shirts and the women’s hair is pulled back creates a sophisticated look which appeals to ethos, promoting the products credibility. The way the models are looking off into the distance with straight faces also makes the ad look more refined and elegant. The models’ white hair and pale skin keeps your eyes glued to the pictures. I found myself looking back and forth between the models and the glasses which I think is exactly what the ad designer had in mind when creating this ad.
I also found it interesting how there are three females in the ad and only one male. Because the male and female in the top two pictures are wearing the same pair of glasses, it exhibits that the sunglasses can be worn by men and women, widening the products audience. Overall, I love this ad even though the models look curiously albino.
I completely agree with your analysis! The ad is so classy and sophisticated. The total lack of color except for the sunglasses really makes the product pop out at the viewer. The ad is interesting to look at because it is remarkably simple. Great post!
ReplyDeleteGreat analysis. The models look like something out of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, and I think that your right when you say they were trying to attain a futuristic feel. I agree with what you said about the sunglasses popping on colorless canvas and overall I think this is a cool ad with a weird edge. Good find!
ReplyDelete